Monday, June 25, 2007

Where Did All The Christians Go?

Timothy,
I have been thinking a lot about the church and how far we have moved from scripture. We live in a world where the church is the mirror image of the world around it. We seem to be no different. Why? I think one reason is we have forgotten the mission of Christ. Jesus lived a life where He thought of others before He thought of Himself. He feed those who were hungry, healed those who were sick and dying, and brought hope to a people with no hope. Today our churches are more worried about what is going on inside the church building and less and less about the world outside their church walls. We are focused on budgets, buildings, and bull. I learned yesterday that the executive director of the KBC makes over $160,000 dollars a year and it made me sick. It is not just the KBC that has salaries that are unbelievable; many of our churches pay their pastor over this amount. My question is why? Why does anyone need that much money? Is it to feed his family? Is it to buy a home, or pay the bills? No I don't think so. I think it is to live the American dream to take all you can, die with all you can, and forget the rest of the world. If others can't make it then it must be their fault. They must have a flaw or they would be able to make that much money too. Jesus did not tell us to get rich contrary to popular belief. This is not supposed to be your best life that comes later. Jesus did not tell the disciples to go into the world and create a mega church. He told them to make disciples and to do that by teaching them all that they had learned under Jesus' teaching. Tell me Timothy maybe I am wrong but have we continued to teach what Jesus taught? As I look at the Sermon on the Mount I bow my head and pray for forgiveness for the way we live. Pray Timothy that the church will once again remember the mission that Jesus has given us to save our world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know God's been taking me through some of those same thoughts lately. I hear of salaries like that and church building costs and I think: "That's not just outrageous, that's murder." We live our extravagant lives at the expense of the 50,000 people who die daily of hunger, lack of clean water, and AIDS.

And as upset as I get at America and the Church, all I can think of is the man in the Temple praying: "God have mercy on me, a sinner..."

God forgive us for what we've done to this planet and to humanity.