Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Timothy today I ministered to a family as I gave the eulogy for the first time as a minister. I did not personally know the 86 year old man that passed but I felt like I knew him from the conversations I had with his grandson Corey.

People are so interesting. Today a wife who decided after 60 years of marriage that it was time to leave her husband and live her life attended his funeral. For the first time I experienced the long term effects of divorce.

A family broken, children divided over who caused the divorce and two people left to live life alone. The youngest son asked me how he was suppose to react as he saw and spoke to his mother for the first time in seven years.

Seven years of silence. A son abandoned by his mother for her pursuit of life. I wondered as I looked at this woman old and feeble if she had experienced what she set out to find? Seeing that she is alone and does not have anyone to share her life with I would have to say the answer is no.

We are so blind Timothy. Blind to what is real and what really matters in life. God wants us to experience all the great things that come with living life on this planet, but we are blinded. We exchange the real for the counterfeit and when we are left empty handed we wonder why God is punishing us? We need to wake people from their slumber Timothy. Sometimes I wish God would blind the world like He did Saul. Then maybe with the world around them blotted out they would see for the first time a Savior who loves them.

1 comment:

Jeremiah said...

I think that, sometimes, it seems like it is difficult to understand how non regenerate people behave; how can they not realize the effects of their sin: in their marriage, on their family, to their friends, and to their church. At the same time, though, I know that I can easily understand how sin can entice and how easy it is to cave in to its temptations.
Sin is so blinding that we often times can't see the terrible consequences of sin in our lives. Thanks be to God for showing us the depravity of our hearts and leading us to him.

Good Post