Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Life

Timothy,
This past week was one of the hardest of my life. I held a baby weighing 3.5 pounds in my arms at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital for two hours as the parents got some much needed rest. While Mollie was struggling to survive there in my arms I prayed with all my soul that God would heal her little heart. She was born with Trisomy 16 a condition where only one to two percent of babies make it to term. As I looked at her body it was unbelievable how perfect she looked on the outside. All of her little fingers and toes were so small and her skin so soft. As I held her I was reminded how the doctors had encouraged the parents to abort early in the pregnancy and I wept. Mollie passed on to be with Jesus just before noon on Thursday. I performed the funeral on Saturday and as I spoke the words of comfort that the Lord provided I wondered how it would have been if the parents had taken the doctor's advice. They would have never gotten to hold Mollie and felt the smooth touch of her skin next to theirs. Mollie would have never known the love of her wonderful parents. From the very moment she was born someone who loved her held her in their arms. Timothy we must never compromise when it comes to defending the right to life for these defenseless precious children. Pray with all your might that God will grant Tom and Brenda the measure of love they will need in the coming days as they mourn the loss of their baby girl.

No comments: